Monday, September 3, 2012

#2 Revised: Shopping Advertisment

            The writing of Douglas Rushkoff in his article “Why We Listen to What ‘They’ Say” at first makes sense because he gives examples of what groups are informing us about, but as the article goes on, it begins to veer more towards just the author.  The word they is used quite often to show what the groups opinion is or the person.  As the article goes on, you will see it go from the word they to actual types of groups like advertisers.  An example of this is a mall clerk.  A female may unbutton her shirt a little more for the appeal of the male shopper.  She may provoke the male shopper in to buying one more thing by her communication to him along with her appearance.  Other than the example I just gave, the article by Douglas seemed long and boring to me.  I got half way thru reading the work before I began to get bored with it, but this type of reading was not to my appeal.  Also mentioned in this writing is how the CB radio was going out due to the way communication has changed over time.  I disagree with this due to knowing many individuals who use this type of communication that is not monitored as strict as other types like the internet.  He also mentions how organizations use types of ads that go out of the traditional manner.  If I see an ad that I do not fully understand, I investigate a product before ever buying whatever it may be.  Such an example is a pair of shoes.  I will see an ad for sneakers, and if the footwear seems appealing, I will look up the company to see how long the product has been out.  Then the task of asking people about the sneakers if they have the same pair to see how they like them comfort wise.  If all is good with the product, then I will purchase a pair.  Mr. Rushkoff mentions how people will just jump at something to buy it due to the advertising strategy, and I have seen this first hand with people that buy something for the way it looks or who wears it.  He also seemed to boast on himself by the number of books he has written.  Books are outstanding to read, but I got the impression that he was a little too on himself with the way he said people came to him and read his books on the strategies that are changing and business aspect at telling us to get something.  I will not read this article again, and I would not recommend it.  To someone else the writing may have appeal, but to each his own

No comments:

Post a Comment